The Official Website of Utah County Government

Utah County Bureau of Air Quality

Steve Alder, Bureau Director

Utah County Bureau of Air Quality - Frequently Asked Questions




How can I register a vehicle in Utah County?

Questions regarding vehicle registration should be directed to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) by calling 1-800-DMV-UTAH (1-800-368-8824). The DMV Office in Utah County is located at 150 East Center, Room 1400. The hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. 

Can I register my vehicle online?

Vehicles can be registered online if you have the renewal information packet sent in the mail by the DMV (see link below). The Pin number on the renewal packet must be entered to register online. If required, safety inspection and emissions test must be completed before registration.   Online Vehicle Registration Link

Does my vehicle require a safety inspection to register?

Questions regarding safety inspection should be directed to the Department of Public Safety at (801) 234-8294 or (801) 965-4889.  

Does my vehicle require an emissions test to register?

New gas vehicles are exempt from emission testing for the first two years. Gas vehicles seven model years and older are required to have an emissions test every year for registration. Gas vehicles six model years and newer are required to have an emissions test every two years. (Even model year vehicles require an emissions test during even years, and odd model year vehicles require an emissions test during odd years). Questions regarding the emissions (I/M) program in Utah County should be directed to the Bureau of Air Quality Programs, a division of Environmental Health with the Utah County Health Department. Our office is located in Spanish Fork at 3255 N Main Street. Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday -Friday. Our phone number is (801) 851-7600. 

Is my diesel vehicle required to have an emissions test to register?

As of January 1, 2006, all diesel vehicles registered in Utah County are NOT required to have an opacity emissions test to be registered. Depending on the model year of the vehicle, safety inspection may or may not be required. For more information, contact the Bureau of Air Quality at 851-7600, or the Highway Patrol at 234-8285. 

Where can I get an emissions test done on my vehicle and how much will it cost?

There are nearly 200 privately owned businesses certified to perform emissions tests in Utah County. These garages, repair shops, dealers, etc. can be recognized by large blue & white signs designating them as certified I/M stations. A complete list of all certified I/M stations in Utah County is available on the Utah County website (see link below). There is no set fee for an emissions test in Utah County. Certified I/M stations are allowed to determine what they will charge for an emissions test, provided the fee amount is posted.   I/M Stations in Utah County

What does OBDII mean?

OBDII stands for "On Board Diagnostics." 

How can I become certified to perform emissions tests in Utah County?

Persons desiring to become I/M certified are required to first pass a 100 question pretest on basic automotive mechanics. The pretest can be taken at the Bureau of Air Quality Programs any weekday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. There is no charge to take the pretest, but a picture ID is required. You may take the pretest exam a total of two times in a 6 month period, waiting at least a week between attempts. Persons not passing the exam by the second attempt are encouraged to enroll in the "Utah County Emissions Test Preparation Training" Course taught by Mountainland Applied Technology. Information about this course can be obtained by calling 863-6282. Passing the Pretest Exam or the Pretext Prep Training at Mountainlands qualifies the student for enrollment into the Certified I/M Technician Course. Upon payment of $125 the student will be placed in the next available spot for that course. 

Questions regarding Emissions Warranties?

All light duty cars and trucks must pass an approved emissions test if they are within the first 2 years of vehicle use and under 24,000 miles. There are three (3) major emissions components covered for 8 years 80,000 miles. They are the Catalytic Converter, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) device (1996 and newer). It is vital for all 1996 and newer light duty vehicles to communicate with the Utah County emissions analyzer. If the emissions analyzer is unable to communicate with your vehicle, this problem must be repaired before the test may continue. 

My car won't pass, how do I qualify for a waiver?

Follow this link to view the failed VIR printed with ALL test failures.  cert back