How to Apply
  1. Complete your marriage license application online, verify your identity online, and pay online by credit card or debit card. The license fee is non-refundable and includes two certified copies (a paper copy and a digital copy).
  2. Read the confirmation email containing the information about using your license and officiant worksheet.
  3. Print off the copy of the officiant worksheet to give to the individual performing your ceremony.
  4. Be sure your officiant follows the instructions in your email and on the worksheet for completing and submitting your license online to Utah County.
If You Can't Use the Online Application
If you need to pay your license fee by cash or check or if you would just prefer to complete your application in person, you can come into the Utah County Passport and Marriage License office during regular business hours.

If you are not able to come into the office in person or are unable to use the online application system for any reason, you can use the button below to schedule a virtual office visit with a County Clerk over a video conference.

Schedule of Marriage License Fees Click to Expand
The current Marriage License Fee is made up of the following:
  • $40.00 - Utah County Marriage License Fee
  • Included - Two Certified Copies of Completed Marriage License (a paper copy and a digital copy)
  • $10.00 - Children's Defense Trust Fund-State Required Fee
  • $20.00 - Utah Marriage Commission-State Required Fee*
  • $10.00 - Victims of Domestic Violence Donation-Optional State Fee
  • $15.00 - International Address Processing Fee-International Ship To Addressess Only
  • $60.00 - International Shipping Fee-All Certificates sent via FedEx with Tracking for all International Ship To Addresses

  • $70.00 - Base License Fee w/o Discount
    $50.00 - Base License Fee with Discount*
    $80.00 - License Fee w/Donation w/o Discount
    $60.00 - License Fee w/Donation and Discount*

    International Licensing Fees
    $145.00 - Base License Fee w/o Discount
    $125.00 - Base License Fee with Discount*
    $155.00 - License Fee w/Donation w/o Discount
    $135.00 - License Fee w/Donation and Discount*
*This fee can be waived by completing pre-marital education or counseling. To learn how to get the discount, visit The discount also applies to anyone that completes their application in-person at the Utah County Passport and Marriage License Office.

When to Apply

MARRIAGE LICENSES EXPIRE 30 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE! Licenses can be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used before/up to their expiration date. An expired license is no longer valid and a couple would need to get a new license to get married.

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that a couple wait until 7 to 10 days prior to their marriage date to apply for their license. If you apply for a license too early and your wedding has to be delayed, you will have to pay to get a new license if your current one expires before your new date. There are no extensions or refunds possible under Utah State law.

  • A license issued in Utah County may be used in anywhere within the State of Utah
  • A government issued picture ID that shows a date of birth is required for all applicants.
  • If a divorce has been granted within the last 60 days, you need to provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.
  • For information on a divorce filed in the State of Utah, contact the District Court that divorce was filed in. Directory of Utah District Courts
  • If you were issued a paper marriage license and did not use it within 30 days from the date of issue, do not destroy it. Any expired marriage licenses issued as a paper copy must be returned to the Utah County Marriage License. Online only marriage licenses are issued electronically and are not required to be returned if expired.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who May Perform a Marriage Ceremony? Click to Expand
The authority to officiate marriages is governed by Utah Code 30-1-6. The following list is a summary of the code:
  • Ministers, Rabbis, or Priests of any religious denomination who are in regular communion with any religious society, and are 18 years of age or older.
  • Native American spiritual advisors
  • The Governor
  • Mayors of Municipalities
  • Justice Court Judges
  • A Judge or Commissioner of a court of record
  • The County Clerk, if the clerk chooses to officiate marriages
  • Any person designated by the County Clerk
  • The president of the Senate
  • The speaker of the House of Representatives
  • Judges or magistrates of the United States
  • A judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

Minors Click to Expand
Individuals requesting a marriage license who are 16 or 17 years of age.
(Note: The age difference between both parties to the marriage must be less than seven years.)
  • A minor must obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian
  • A parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in person at the time of application, and must provide valid identification
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by court documents or divorce decree
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by court documents or divorce decree
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate
  • Current valid picture identification
  • Written authorization from a judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides; or a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council
As of May 14, 2019 applicants 15 years of age and younger cannot obtain a marriage license under Utah State law

First Cousins Click to Expand
First cousins may marry if they are 65 years of age or older. If they are between 55 and 64 years of age, the district court in the county where they reside must find that either person is incapable of reproduction in order for them to be married.

Qualifications: Any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity, except for cousins as stated above, may not be married.

What If I Can't Apply in Person? Click to Expand
If one applicant is not able to appear in person at the office and the couple is unable to apply for a license using the online system, then the couple is welcome to schedule a virtual office visit. Both applicants can appear before a clerk over a video conference and complete their application. The clerk will complete their application, verify their indentity, and take their payment. Schedule a virtual office visit with the button below.

Requirements for a Virtual Office Visit:
  • Make an appointment using the button below.
  • Upload the required documents in the appointment.
  • Both applicants must appear before the clerk for the appointment.

How Do I Change My Name? Click to Expand
We do not handle name changes through our office. We will send you a certified copy of your marriage license, which should be sufficient proof of your marriage to any government agency. Name changes are typically handled by the Social Security Administration and the Driver’s License Division.
  • For more information on changing your name through the Social Security Administration, go to to learn more and find your local Social Security office.
  • For information on changing your name through the Driver’s License Division, contact your local Driver's License Division office. Here is the link to find the nearest office to you.
    Utah State Division of Driver's License Offices
  • You can update your voter registration online. Visit the Utah County Clerk/Auditor Voter Registration page to learn more.
  • Update your passport information. This will require you to send your certified copy of your marriage license and US Passport Form DD-5504 by mail if your passport was issued within the last year. If your passport was issued more than one year ago, but has not yet expired, you will need to use US Passport Form DS-82 instead. You may contact us at 801-851-8226 or 801-851-8108 if you have a question about how to do this correctly.
For more information about Certified Copies, see the "Certified Copies" web page.

The Utah Marriage Handbook

Strong, healthy, long-lasting relationships don't just happen on their own. Whether you're engaged, newlywed, remarried, or a seasoned married couple, The Utah Marriage Handbook has information, ideas, and resources that will help you strengthen your relationship with your partner. The Handbook is available as a downloadable eBook in English and Spanish.