• Do I need a permit?

    Utah County including Utah State Law, requires a permit for all buildings, structures, and construction related activities. (Some exemptions may apply. Contact the Building Department) 

  • How much does a permit cost?

    Refer to the Permit Fee Schedule.  Permit Fee Schedule

  • How long does it take to get a permit?

    Usually allow 14 working days. 

  • What are the required setbacks?

    Varies per Zone & structure type. Most areas within the county have a 30 foot front setback and a 15 foot side & rear setback from property line to the building/structure. Contact Planning and Zoning for specifics. 

  • Is engineering required?

    Engineering requirements varies per project. It is typically required based on many factors including but not limited to Utah Code, Building Code, Snow Loads, or other design conditions. 

  • What is the design criteria for Utah County?

    Please refer to the G overning Codes, Regulations, & Design Criteria information. 

  • Does Utah County issue building permits for projects within city limits.

    No, Utah County's jurisdiction only covers areas outside of city boundaries. 

  • What is the snow load in Utah County.

    The snow load varies within the County. Please refer to the Governing Codes, Regulations, & Design Criteria section above. 

  • What must be completed for me to get a final inspection and gain approval to move into my home.

    All required inspections for the project must be completed and approved along with sign offs from all applicable county departments. 

  • What are the required inspections for my project?

    Please refer to the Required Inspections section above. 

  • What is the difference between a free agricultural permit and a regular building permit?

    Free agricultural permits are for structures used solely for agricultural purposes like hay barns, cattle shelters, horse barns, tractor sheds, etc, that are located on land used for agricultural purposes. These structures cannot be used for personal belongings like lawn mowers, boats, RV's, personal vehicles, shops, etc.