The Official Website of Utah County Government

Utah County Justice Court

Judge Scott Cullimore
Judge Stevan W. Ridge

Small Claims Court

Filing Fees

Small claims cases are to recover money, and claims cannot exceed the jurisdictional limit.  That limit is set by the Legislature in Utah Code Section 78A-8-102.

  • $75 if the claim is less than $2,000
  • $185 if the claim is between $2,001 - $9,999
  • $360 if the claim is greater than $10,000

Visit http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/smallclaims/ for more information about Small Claims Court.

Where To File

A small claims case must be filed in the justice court where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the events happened).

If the defendant resides or the claim arose within a municipality and if the municipality has a justice court, file the case in the municipal justice court. If the municipality has no justice court, file the case in the county justice court. If the defendant resides or the claim arose in the unincorporated county , file the case in the county justice court.


For a fee, the court can provide the forms needed to file a small claims case or you can print the forms from the website listed below :



The Utah County Justice Court has implemented a program whereby all small claims cases will be referred to mediation. Your first small claims court appearance will be for a mediation conference. If a resolution is not reached at mediation, the court will then schedule a trial date.

Mediation is confidential. Nothing that is said in mediation can be used against you in court. Utah Valley University and the Brigham Young University Law School both have mediation programs. Volunteers from these programs will be available at the courthouse to provide free mediation services to you. These individuals are not employed by, or associated with Utah County or the court, and are completely neutral.